Your QualificationsTo meet the basic qualifications for the role of Internal Communications Manager, you must have:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing Communications or a related business or scientific field.
- Hands-on internal corporate communications experience.
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a Visa transfer or Visa sponsorship.
- 8+ years of experience in corporate communications, with significant experience in internal communications; global communications experience is a plus.
- Excellent written skills including proven PowerPoint development, intranet content, speechwriting, and technical writing. You should be a persuasive writer and strong editor able to leverage tools including MS Office applications.
- Strong project and event management skills and a results orientation.
- Self-motivation and a highly disciplined, well organized and process oriented approach.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to engage employees and project teams.
- Comfort communicating complex scientific information to all audiences.
- The ability to communicate complicated ideas and concepts effectively.
- The skill and experience to lead and manage large, complex projects.
- Outstanding change management skills.
- Experience with internal communications in science based organizations such as the chemical or pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Bi-lingual German/English skills a plus.
Note: please be prepared to share samples of your work. <
The RoleAs Internal Communications Manager, you will be responsible for all BASF Bioscience Research Division employee communications globally to drive employee engagement and retention. This is a hands-on role with a strategic element, requiring a professional who’s skilled in tactical execution, while also understanding the bigger picture and long-range strategic objectives. Your high-reaching mission will be to execute on an integrated, strategic internal communications program that aligns with Bioscience Research Division objectives and priorities, as well as generates employee awareness and engagement around those priorities.
You will report to the Global Head of Communications and work closely with the Bioscience Research Division Communications Team, as well as with corporate communications colleagues in North America, Germany, and Asia, and with Bioscience Research HR in order to develop, coordinate and implement communications plans that ensure clear employee messaging. Communication will cover a plethora of topics, including business, strategy and performance, organizational news, partnership announcements, HR topics regarding benefits, recruiting, etc. To create clear communications and execute on developed projects and plans, you’ll utilize innovative communication techniques, set goals and develop measurements that demonstrate communication plans are implemented effectively and efficiently.
Specifically, you will:
- Develop, lead and execute on internal organizational, change management and employee communications programs to engage employees and heighten their level of understanding and engagement in the BRD strategy and priorities in North America, Europe and Asia.
- Oversee the creation and delivery of all internal print, web (in coordination with the BRD Online Channel Manager) and video communications materials, leadership internal communications, speeches and talking points in support of business and functional objectives.
- Manage the communication activities and budgets on a global basis. Select and manage a vendor network as needed for project production work. Coordinate with regional colleagues on plans and implementation.
- Serve as a key member of the communications team and coordinate closely with management and HR.
- Ensure information is shared utilizing a combination of methods including online, video, newsletters, email, posters and literature as well as employee dialogue and town hall events.
- Coordinate large-scale meeting planning and town halls, ensuring senior executives are fully prepared and that meeting content/key messages is broadly communicated, as appropriate, to multiple employee groups.
- Develop robust metrics around internal communications efforts that support employee awareness, understanding and engagement of key BRD strategies.
- Identify and utilize integrated communications techniques that are innovative and provide the highest return on investment to the business and maximize budgets.
- Develop communications plans on a global scale with regional aspects as required based upon site specific topics.
- Analyze and utilize employee surveys to measure communications effectiveness and identify areas for improvement.
- Key advisor to Bio Science management and HR regarding employee communications goals and strategies.
- Support the Bio Science global positioning through effective employee communications and outreach.
Why BASFImpact and ownership -- this is a key role that will have a high impact on advancing effective global internal communications. We'll look to you to take ownership of your role, working independently and also serving as a valuable team member. There's plenty of room for wins early on, especially in the area of change management. You can help drive cultural change in a number of key areas.
Ongoing opportunities -- we are the world’s leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
- Career options -- this role can provide you with intriguing challenges for years to come. At the same time, given the high visibility of the role and growth of the team, once you have proven yourself you can pursue advancement at the RTP site, or even move into other areas within the larger BASF organization. BASF is a global organization, so if you are willing to relocate, your career path opportunities are only limited by your aptitude and ambition.
- Professional development -- in addition to expanding your experience in diverse projects and various modes of communication, you will be able to share ideas and insights with the rest of the Communications Team. To execute your role, you’ll interact with a variety of cross-functional teams and middle managers across the organization. Learning will be key to your growth and development within BASF. You bring the motivation and bandwidth to learn and we'll provide a variety of resources, including online and classroom learning as well as tuition reimbursement, to help you develop professionally..
- Diversity Inc. Top 50 Company for Diversity
- Top 100 Ideal Employer for Engineering, Universum
- Global 100 World's Most Sustainable Corporations
- Workforce Diversity Magazine Top 50 Employer
- Top 50 Employer, Minority Engineer Magazine
- Top 50 Employer, Woman Engineer Magazine
- One of the World's Most Admired Chemical Companies, Fortune
Outstanding compensation and benefits package -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer a rich benefits package that includes much more than the basics, such as adoption assistance, transportation spending accounts, concierge services, matching gifts to higher education, generous vacation and so much more. In fact, our retirement savings plan was on BrightScope’s list of Top 30 401(k) plans in the country!
Keys to SuccessThe ideal candidate for the Internal Communications Manager role will be passionate about internal communications, skilled at change management, open to learning new skills and interested in growing their career with BASF. He/she will have solid tools and experience, such as outstanding writing abilities to fashion Internet copy and web communications, scriptwriting/storytelling skill and the insight to develop powerful messaging for town hall meetings or employee face-to-face interactions. To be clear, this is not a marketing role or a role where you’ll serve as a consultant to executives. This is a role where you will take ownership of the execution of internal global messaging for the Bioscience Research Division, encompassing a large and diverse client group. Cultural understanding and openness to a global workforce will be essential here.
The group includes four research units and talented staff with range of scientific and technical backgrounds. To be successful in our environment, you must be adept in your scientific knowledge and comfortable communicating complex concepts across a diverse group. You’ll also leverage strong interpersonal and relationship building skills to develop a network of middle managers at multiple locations, who can help you along the way.
While the role is 75% tactical, there is a strategic element. You should have the vision to see the big picture and connect the dots through various modes of communication. Of course, we work strategically as a team and you will contribute to the team by providing your unique insight. For example, you might identify a business condition, analyze it and bring your analysis to the team along with recommendations. Once a plan is developed, you’ll buy-in 100% and deliver to that plan. You’ll know you’re hitting the mark when you’re effectively taking a team-oriented perspective, producing high-quality deliverables on time, and driving effective cultural change.
About BASFBASF was founded in Manheim, Germany in 1865 as Badische Anilin- & Soda-Fabrik, a manufacturer of dyes. Today BASF is the largest chemical company in the world, with divisions in aerospace, agriculture, automotive, construction, mass transit, packaging, personal care, pharmaceutical and wind energy.
Our purpose: we create chemistry for a sustainable future.
We combine economic success, social responsibility and environmental protection. Through science and innovation we enable our customers in almost all industries to meet the current and future needs of society.
The BASF Brand:
Strong brands derive from corporate strategy. In the case of BASF, our Brand Promise originates not just from our purpose statement -- “We create chemistry for a sustainable future” -- but also from our strategic principles and our values.
This means that creating chemistry extends to all areas of our business. As one company with the best team, BASF harnesses the power of chemistry between people, production, and technology. This connectedness helps create innovative, sustainable solutions that enhance the quality of life today and in the future.
Through different brand touchpoints, the BASF brand proves every day that it stands for connectedness, intelligent solutions, value-adding partnerships and sustainability.